Monday, March 25, 2013

World Down Syndrome Day (posted a bit late)

WDSD

Word Down Syndrome Day was March 21st. We were on Spring Break, so I didn't post. The date is highly appropriate: 3-21 for 3 copies of the 21st chromosome.
In celebration of the day, we wore our blue and yellow (the colors that represent DS awareness). We also wore crazy socks.
We ate some cake (it was leftover from Daddy's birthday, but that's okay). We played and enjoyed family time.

So, what does this day mean to us? Two years ago, it meant absolutely nothing. It is amazing how times have changed. Who would have known how much a baby could rock our world and change our lives? Not just how we live but, how we treat others, how we get involved and how we love.
 
Layla is an awesome kid. She is so sweet with little Lila. She likes to pretend to be a therapist and work with her. She likes to tell people about DS and it is so cute to watch.
She is a fantastic teacher. She teaches me from a child's view everyday. Oh, what a lovely view that is.
 
 
There are so many things I could say about DS and how it affects our every day lives. But, this is what I will say: Lila is the baby girl. She is an extremely good baby. She is into everything. She enjoys dancing, jabbering, pointing and walking (up to eight steps!). She loves mean mugging.
 
 
She brings us joy. She brings emotions out in people who I thought didn't have many. She teaches with every moment, with every milestone. She is a clown. She is a love-bug. She is a warrior princess. She is my HERO.
 
At this time last year, I was still mourning the hand that I was dealt. But, now I see (through tears as I type this) what I was really given.
 
I was given through Lila, the gift of sight. For, I now see things I would have never seen before. I see smaller things and their importance. I see how unimportant some things are (housework, laundry, society's standard of acceptance and beauty). I see the importance of loving everyone. I see the importance of teaching others to have compassion. I see the importance of stopping to smell the roses.
 
I wouldn't trade this gift and all of the extras it brings, I wouldn't trade this gift of Lila for ANYTHING.
 
Happy World Down Syndrome Day! I am PROUD to be a part of this family!
 
 
Our cousins showing some love for Lila on WDSD!  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment