Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Priorities

Are you looking at your little girl when she shows you a flower? Or are you playing on your phone saying, "Yeah, that is nice." Are you looking when she asks if you see the moon? Or when she shows you a drawing she made. Are you listening when she babbles on about her day? Really listening?

What is your definition of success? Career? Family? A lot of money? Nice car? Every material possession you want?

My idea of sucess has changed a lot over the past several months.

I definitely think education is important. I don't think it is everything. I'm proud of my education. I'm equally proud of my hubs who chose not to go to college. I'm all about pursuing dreams.

What are your dreams? I'm a momma, so my dreams may not seem big to many of my readers. You see my dreams changed a bit when I decided to have kids (especially that second one). I do have dreams. Most of them revolve around two small chicks who live at my house. I have dreams for myself, but they are mostly of traveling and memory making. I don't wish to be famous, but Lila might make me that someday. :) Okay, when I re-read this, I wouldn't mind being famous.

I'll not rant about my dream of winning the lottery, it is low on the totem pole. But, I will say this: my kids are only little ONCE. They grow up too fast.

I feel that parents should pursue goals and dreams. It shows children by example. I also believe that some people don't get the chance to go to college until later in life, that too is understandable. Go for it when you can!

We are all entitled to our opinions. But, my cousin said it very well. She said, "I just believe that some people have it all wrong. I'm not saying you should not do things for yourself, but in five years all of my bigger children will be grown!! Five years-that is not long! I CHOSE to have these children and I believe they should come first. I just know in a few years my life will change forever. Never again will all of my children be under the same roof when I go to bed. They will be starting their own lives and I hope I can send them out into the world with the confidence they need to succeed in this world and to hopefully make a difference in someone's life! If your children spend most of their time in daycare and watching you chase after things that truly do not matter I don't think they will ever get it!!"

Preach on sister! Now, some things are absolutely worth chasing. Many things deserve our time. But, every chance I get away from work and chores and every day "must-dos"...I want to spend that time with my kids while I can. Of course, we must make time for our marriages too and keep those relationships strong.

Can children grow up with confidence if you don't spend lots of time with them? Yes. I realize some people have to work hard and provide. I also realize kids have to go to daycare and baby sitters too. I am not trying to step on anyone's toes.

I just wonder....what is your idea of success? Do I sound crazy? I know that (most) everyone loves their kids. I'm not knocking parents who are busy with jobs and school, etc. I work and spend time away from my girls because of my job.

But, I wonder....what comes first for us? Many Americans in this fast-paced climb do not take the time to see what is truly important.

Are you looking? Are you really looking? It is right in front of you.

A day will come, way too soon, when Layla doesn't want to sleep in the middle. A day will come when she won't think I'm the coolest mom in the world.

A day will come when my baby doesn't need me in a child-like way anymore. A day will come when she will be grown and gone.

Did I give her what she deserves? Did I spend my time wisely? Was I fun? Will she have good memories of this time in her life? Memories where her mom was fully present?

I wonder? What is your definition of success? Mine revolves around two chicks and the memories I make with them. It revolves around teaching them about God and love and life. It revolves around trying to show them in every possible way that I love them and cherish our time together. It also includes a man I love dearly. And our family who means the world to us. We have so many blessings. Every day I am thankful for this life and the people in it!

But, please, oh please, be sure you are looking. It will be gone way too soon.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment